Tenant Rental Policy - Coral Sea Property Management - Townsville Area

Rental Policies, Procedures and Forms

How we manage rentals

We’re here to help you

We’ve put some useful information together about our rental policies and procedures. On this page we cover the following.

Useful Forms

Here are some of the common forms that are required when renting with Coral Sea Property Management and when your lease ends.

Applying for a Rental Property

Starting a Tenancy

Ending a Tenancy

You can also find many forms and helpful information about renting in QLD at the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) website

Paying Your Rent

Rent in Advance

As a condition of your lease, you must stay at least 7 days in advance at all times. This was explained during your initial sign-up. You would also have signed a separate document acknowledging that you understand this requirement. Action is taken from the first day that rent is in arrears.

If We Make a Mistake

If you received a Breach Notice from us for rent arrears and your rent was paid within the minimum of 7 days in advance, we’ve made a mistake. Come to the office with your receipt/bank statement or payment slip, and we’ll apologise immediately. We’ll remove the notice from your file and give you a $50 gift card as compensation.

Rent in Arrears

We have a strict ‘zero tolerance’ policy for rent arrears.

If you receive an SMS or email indicating that you are in arrears, you must immediately check that your rent is up to date. Sometimes this might occur for the following reasons:

  • New lease – You may have had a recent rental increase. Have you adjusted your payment to the new weekly rate?
  • Expired lease / periodic tenancy rate – If your lease expired and you haven’t signed a new lease, your rent will have increased. This is usually a minimum of 10% or $30per week. This amount was listed on your lease and was explained during your initial sign-up. Check your lease or contact our office for your new rent amount.You may be eligible for a discount on this new amount by contacting our office to arrange a new 12-month or longer lease.
  • Paying monthly – You need to pay 4.34 times your weekly rent amount each month to account for the 52 weeks per year.Some people make the mistake of paying only 4 times the weekly rent each month.

Periodic Tenancy – What Happens When Your Lease Expires

Once your lease expires, unless you have a new lease agreement you convert to a periodic tenancy. This means your rent will be higher than the original lease agreement. The Coral Sea Property Management team will contact you approximately 6 weeks before your lease expiry date to negotiate new lease terms.

Pool Maintenance

Tenants are responsible for maintaining the pool and keeping it safe. The pool must be cleaned and vacuumed, the water balanced, the filter cleaned, and pool surroundings tidied. All pool equipment must be accounted for and securely stored out of the sun.


We conduct the following inspections on your property.

Routine Inspections

We conduct routine inspections every 14 weeks. At least one week before the inspection, you’ll receive a letter and entry notice informing you of the date and time. If you are not home, entry is gained using the office set of keys. You can read more about these inspections on the Routine Property Inspections Page

Drive-by Inspections

We conduct drive-by inspections once every month. This lets us make sure lawns and gardens are maintained, as stated in your General Tenancy Agreement.

Smoke Alarm Inspections

During the period of your tenancy, the smoke alarms are inspected by Smoke Alarm Solutions. You must ensure the smoke alarms are kept clean at all times, that is, do not let cobwebs or dust accumulate around them. However, you must never touch, open or tamper with the smoke alarms.

Pets Policy

Please be aware that all pets must be approved during your application process. If you have no approval, and if we have instructions from the property owner that no pets are allowed, this is stated in your General Tenancy Agreement. If an animal is discovered at the property, we’ll issue you with a Notice to Remedy Breach (Form 11). You must find another home for the animal within 7 days of the receiving the Notice to Remedy Breach, or your tenancy will be terminated. You will also be required to arrange a pest inspection/spray of the property as you vacate.
Please do not place us or yourselves in this difficult position. We love pets, but take our pets policy very seriously and expect you to do the same.

Notice to Remedy Breach

A Notice to Remedy Breach (Form 11) is used during the tenancy. It’s designed to advise either the tenant or property manager/owner if they believe there has breach of their residential tenancy agreement.
A Notice to Remedy Breachis issued to tenants for:

  • Rent arrears
  • Inadequate lawn and garden maintenance
  • Inadequate up keep of property
  • Damage to property
  • Unauthorised pets on property
  • Unauthorised occupants residing at property

Coral Sea Property Management follows a strict process when issuing a Notice to Remedy Breach. Should we have to breach you at any stage, a paper form ‘Notice to Remedy Breach’ is delivered to your letterbox. You’re given 7 days from receiving the breach to remedy it. Once you’ve remedied the breach, you must contact our office and notify us. When this has been done, we’ll confirm in writing that you’ve remedied the breach.

If the breach is not been remedied within 7 days, you’ll be issued with a Notice to Leave (Form 12). Once the Notice to Leave has been issued, it cannot be reversed unless by negotiation with our office.

It’s important to understand that a Notice to Remedy Breach and a Notice to Leave are serious documents. If you are issued with them for rent arrears, it can affect your credit rating. It can also result in a poor rental reference and impact future tenancy applications.

Residential Tenancies Authority

The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) is a state government legal authority that helps make renting work for everyone. The RTA administers the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodate Act (The Act). The Act applies to people renting different types of accommodation, including a house, unit or flat, share house, caravan or houseboat, in Queensland. The RTA assists tenants, lessors, agents, residents and service providers in the following key ways:

  • Rental bond service: The RTA holds and refunds rental bond money that is paid by tenants to lessors/agents.
  • Tenancy information and education:The RTA offers free information to all tenants, lessors, agents, residents and service providers in Queensland.
  • Dispute Resolution Service: The RTA’s Dispute Resolution Servicecan help people resolve disputes by offering information about tenancy law, a telephone negotiation service, and a conciliation service.
  • Investigations Unit: The RTA investigates and prosecutes offences under the legislation, when appropriate.

RTA Contact Details

Phone: 1300 366 311 (for the cost of a local call)
Web: www.rta.qld.gov.au

Contact us